Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Olympics


Check out the article that Telma and I wrote (okay, mainly her:)) on the Olympics and being Citizens of the World. It was published in Londrina's newspaper(July 30) and in UEL's newspaper on August 13! See links on the right-hand side.

I always seem to be in a different country when the Olympics are happening, which is a bummer because unless you have cable t.v., the coverage is never as complete as in the U.S. I would love to be able to watch the entire gymnastics competition, but since Brazil is not one of the very top competitors, this is not the sport they show the most often here. We see a lot of handball and volleyball, soccer and judo. These are not the sports I want to watch - agg! But it is always interesting to see the games from the perspective of another country. What sports do they most enjoy? What is their view of the other countries participating? And which sports are they best at? Of course, Brazil is great at soccer, but apparently they have never won an Olympic gold medal in this sport. They concentrate more on the World Cup and other tournaments. The women's soccer team is excellent as well, as is the women's volleyball team. I have yet to see any of those matches, however, because the games are only on here from 12:00am to 2:00am and from 5:00am to 7:00am!

At any rate, I plan to keep watching as much as possible. Maybe I will learn something about sports that I have hardly watched before:)

Enjoy the games!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Margaret,

Congratulations on the start of your journalistic career!

Hope you're enjoying a fine Brazilian winter - Seattle basically forgot about summer!

Keep in touch!

Gail Nickel-Kailing