Monday, March 23, 2009

Cinema in the city



I love that on a Monday afternoon in the middle of a work day the movie theater near my house is packed! Of course, I was there too, so obviously I was part of this afternoon non-working crowd:) But the movie theaters here are like Paris, you have tons of different cinemas with different themes and all kinds of people going to see a movie at all times of day. Most of the people were there by themselves, which is great, and there were students, businessmen, movie buffs, etc. I remember David Sedaris said that when he was living in Paris, if he were homesick, he would go to the movies because there were so many options. Well, I think Sao Paulo is going to be similar - lucky me! Mondays and Wednesdays are discount days, and although I was just passing by to get a schedule, I realized that Frost-Nixon was going to begin in 20 minutes for half price, so how could I pass that up?:)

I had missed this film when I was home in the U.S. and hadn't necessarily intended on going to see it at all, but I am so glad I did. I really liked it. Nixon is such a fascinating character, especially for a Politician. As he said himself, it wasn't easy for him to be at parties, to like people and be liked. What a difficult profession to be in if that is the case. I didn't know the whole story behind this interview and I thought it was excellent. Does anybody remember watching this live on tv at the time? It must have been incredible to watch Nixon's face and hear his feelings about Watergate.

His saying "If the president does it, it means that it's not illegal", really could apply to certain Presidents' attitudes since him as well, don't you think?! But I loved how Nixon then said "I'm aware that most people do not share my opinion on this":) Crazy! The movie actually makes you feel somewhat sorry for Nixon, though, too. He really seemed like a lonely, sad person. It was a bittersweet story, but weaved together very well.

I would highly recommend this film - ****

More movies reviews to come on other discount days:)

No comments: